Looking for a comprehensive study skills course for students in grades 6-10?
According to ACT’s 2016 National Curriculum Survey, study skills are the weak link of college readiness. The same conclusion was reached in Achieve’s extensive college-readiness survey where work habits and study skills also topped the area in which students are least prepared for the demands of postsecondary work.
Both surveys confirm what we have been saying all along: College readiness is far more than what students know — it’s about how they learn.
To prepare for the academic demands of high school and postsecondary coursework, students must develop productive learning skills and strategies for the acquisition, retention, and demonstration of knowledge. Many students simply do not have the academic skills and strategies they need in order to succeed at the postsecondary level.
Our 28 lesson, fully classroom-ready course has it all, including practice activities, comics, graphics, and a bit of humor. This course a breeze to teach and provides students with the academic skills they need to be high school and college-ready. Here’s how:
The skills and strategies students learn in our program include:
- why studying matters to your brain
- How (and why) to be a metacognitive student
- IQ vs. effort
- Identifying personal learning styles
- Identifying and utilizing their primary intelligence
- How (and why) to master the syllabus
- How (and why) to get their schema on
- Active learning strategies
- Active listening strategies
- Cornell and Matrix note-taking
- How (and why) to outline your textbook chapter
- M.N.E.M.O.N.I.C.S. for recall
- Time-spaced learning
- Test-taking strategies
- Overcoming test anxiety
- How to be an information literate student
- Anticipating and tackling the challenges of distance learning
- Dealing with failure
- Becoming a critical thinker and much more….
Check out full product previews here:
The 21st Century Student’s Guide to Study Skills (Student Workbook) $16.95
The 21st CenturyStudent’s Guide to Study Skills (Instructor’s Guide) $71.95